Coney Island Hot Dogs, Just Like They Make in Detroit

The story of how the Coney Island hog dog got to the Midwest is pretty straightforward, but no one really knows exactly how the wiener first came to be topped with what is basically a hot meat relish. 

We don’t call it that for obvious reasons, but it does add an entirely new dimension to the old frank. There are many stories, but regardless of how, it only takes one bite to know why.

Like every other ancient American recipe we post, I have no idea how authentic this is, and have never been to Detroit, or even Flint. I have had Nathan’s version, which I enjoyed, but the word on the street is that it’s not nearly as good as the relatives it spawned.

By the way, I’m assuming that if you’ve had the real thing, you’ll let me know if this is even close. Like I said in the video, it’s a long summer of hot dog eating, and I think this coney “don’t call me a chili dog” is a great way to shake things up. I hope you give it a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for enough Coney Sauce for 8-10 hot dogs:
(all spices are to taste!)
1/2 cup diced onion
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef (lean)
2 tbsp butter
2 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp celery salt
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2-3 tbsp chili powder or to taste
1 tsp cumin
pinch cayenne
2-3 cups water
1/3 cup ketchup
- Simmer about 1 hour or until desired texture is reached

0 komentar:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive